Saturday, June 23, 2007

More engine work

Been working on the yard and waiting on some tools to remove the fan and the shaft on the clutch side, got the machinist to make up the puller here below, worked like a charm, pop off came the fan.

Under the fan is where the lighting and brake coils and points, just 4 caps screws and the plate comes off easy, there a spring some washers and a key so pay attention when you remove them. Once the plate was removes, wrapped it in clean rags and removed back of fan shroud.
Once the back of the fan shroud was off, I could get at the head of the 247 jug, but before I could remove head and cylinder I had to remove a shaft on the clutch side, I learned if you stuff a 1/4" piece of rope down the spark plug hole it will stop the motor from spinning so you can put some pressure on the shaft.

I have heard that sometimes these can be a bear to get off, the tool I made had a big nut on one side to put a pipe wrench on and a socket at the other end to put a impact gun on if the shaft gives you a hard time, I was told by forum member Bones to keep close to the bearing because you could bend crank shaft, I was lucky, just with a little pressure it came off easy.
Then the 4 nuts on the top of the head, just tapped with a piece of wood and it came off, taped the cylinder and it lifted off, graped the studs near the bottom where they threads go in the crank case with a pair of pliers and they came out easy, don't know if that was the right method, but it worked for me. On the piston where the wrist pin goes in there are 2 spring clips that hold the wrist pin in on either side. There is a small groove in the hole where you can put a small screw driver in to pry out the clips, once there out I used a brass shaft and tapped out the wrist pin, bearing in the connecting rod that rides on wrist pin was in good shape.
Here is the crankcase ready for the 292 cylinder piston and head, First I thought to split the case and inspect the crank so I could glass bead the cases, but with some WD40 and some clean rags, it cleaned up pretty good, put a post on the forum to see what the guys says about splitting the crank case.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

im am looking to split the crank. could you tell me how i can do that so i can put a new gas kit in thank you