Tuesday, June 5, 2007

292 cylinder swap

With the last post I showed the 292 cylinder head and piston, I planned to change it from the 247 for some additional HP. I have been struggling with the problem the spark plug hole on the 292 head, because the hole is in the back and angled, it would come in contact with the handle bar support. Again a member on the forum had the answers.
Elanmen, who has lately, been very helpful, said if I just put another piece of flatbar under the front motor mount to tip the motor back a little, the spark plug will not contact the handle bar support.

Here is a better shot of what he meant by adding an additional flat bar on the front motor mount.

And here you can see the results, spark plug clears the handlebar support. This is good for me, now I can keep my 247 piston, cylinder and head. I may want to put it back to original one day, my next vintage sled will be a little stronger so I can pull the family up to the cottage, But 3 things about my next sled are certain.
  1. It will be vintage
  2. It will be a Ski Doo
  3. It will be yellow this time.
Still waiting for the tools to get the motor apart, and some parts have not arrived from Canada and the States. The back yard and garden this time of year is using my time, so not much work done on the Elan, got to get my butt into gear soon or the snow will be here and the Elan will still be scattered around my garage.

No comments: