Sunday, June 3, 2007

Proud owners of Elan's

I have been on sick leave from work for about 7 months now, all is good now, almost 100%. But because I have a lot of time on my hands my lap top is my best friend!! As I have mentioned earlier I have join a vintage ski doo forum, this is a must for anyone that is involved in snowmobiling no matter age or make of sled, Snowmobilers tend to be all around good guys, eager to lend a hand and help out with information and parts, down to earth and love nature ( because there out there all the time) don't go south for the winter, celebrate snow, never complain about it.
This particular forum has a thread dedicated for Elan owners called "Elan Chat" a place for guys to talk about a great little sled, spread a little B.S and have fun doing it.
The other day I got the courage to start a topic, Called "Members with Elans". I asked members to post pictures of there sleds to see how many there was in our forum. Results were amazing over 35 replies in 277 views , Lot of proud Elan owners out there. Here are some of the pictures.
It seems I'm adding pictures everyday!!!!




Here is member 775's, 1975 300 SS, clean sled
775 just added this sweet 1973, man that's clean!!




Member Luckyketch 1971 first year production



Luckyketch's 1977





Luckyketches 1978, all nice sleds!!






Member elanmen, he's got it bad, and he admits it.




Elanmen on the road, he just told me he has 90 sleds, 75% are Elans, and he will pick 10 more Elans soon.




Elanmen sent some more pictures, not knowledgeable enough to tell you what year they are but they are all nice, I've asked him to please send years of the pictures but they are all pre 80's for sure!!






I like this 76, it's the same as mine. Elanmen Dad in the saddle.

This is a 77







This is Elanmen Monster Elan, you know I'm new to this game, so at first I thought when people talked about monster Elans they were stock sleds sold by Ski Doo. Man was I wrong!! Elanmen took this 73 SS and drop a 503 FA in it!! He's told me the skis are new because they never touch the snow. Oh by the way, the console, he made that, Ski doo don't have a 503 emblem so he used a 440. The man is magic with fiberglass, repairs boats for a living.

Another angle of Elanmen's monster, not much room left under that hood, he said he would like to put a liquid cooled motor next time. This is like putting a hemi in a VW Beatle.






This is members goose's 1973 Elan SS Nice machine!! Goose got me the 292 cylinder, piston and head for my Elan, he's always happy to help out with parts or information,




Member OlyGab 1971 first year Elan, He paid 50 bucks for it!!! Goes to show that deals are out there.

Member Ski doo man's 73 twin, work in progress, if he's like me he'll have a blast cleaning that one up!! Ski doo man has made a comment about how these beauties cut the trail for the fast guys, first up the hill with 2 feet of powder wins!!



Skidooman said...
My Pic in your Blog there of the Elan beside a Polaris and two Skidoos in the back is a good one. The Elan made it up the beast of a hill very slowly while the other three just powered ahead. But I had to break trail for the two skidoos.






Here is member Sledder Al's pack, he's doing an 74 ( I think that's the year ) for his wife. Al is the guy that got me started with my Elan, he's the reason why I'm on paypal and ebays Christmas card list.


Member Vintage Elan Guy's from left to right 1973 Elan 250, 1975 Elan 340F/A, 1975 Elan 300SS, real quality there!!




Member Vintage Elan Guy's 1972, 292 with turf wheels, sweet!! I got to get a set of those wheels.


Member Hermit's really clean 1974 Elan


Hermit's 1974 Elan 247 Rotax, The one lung thumpers do it for me, this is a fine example of how a stock clean 247 should look like.


This is Vincent's beautiful Elan.

Vincent's motor, nice chrome. Note that Vincent's Elan has the 73 SS secondary with disc brake. Only year for that

Members 1970 TNT's, 1973 twin Elan






1970 TNT's 1974 single, looks all original, really like the look of a untouched barn find.




Member Banoe's 1972 Elan he uses for ice fishing, I love fishing so this unique paint job really touches a soft spot.




And if you want to see some more check out Poidy's site here.



Another award winning site dedicated to the Elan, made by Swedish member Elanmanen.




Member EricR 1971, the is a member that lives in Savannah Georgia, I don't think they get much snow there. He plans to put a wheel kit on and have some fun!




This is member 86 Elaner, 1986 Elan. This is the youngest sled on this post, very rare to find any Elans for sale above 1980, their owners won't let them go, because they never stop!!!!


86 Elaner is a hunter, fisherman that uses this sled the way it was meant to be used, bushwhacking off the groomed trails where those big lugs that go 60 mph can't go. Thanks for sharing!!


Member Jax's 1978 Elan, sweet!!

I don't know if it's Jax showing everyone what these rugged little machines can do. Kids and everyone in general, safety first, wear a helmet!!!


Member 73ss tribute to the Dukes of Hazard's General Lee. Some guys have got great imaginations.

Member lowtekrednek, new project, a monster Elan with a 44o F/A in it, clean engine, notice shop made tuned pipes. Nice job!!!

Member Zooman's 1981 250 single, That style has not change much in 36 years, but if it aint broke why fix it.
Zooman's 78 twin, sweet!


Member Vintage Elan Guy, (VEG for short ) just to make me envious has sent me a picture of his monster, I'm not Kidding, when I find the money, time and motor (in that order) I'm making one. And I know the guys that will help with the know how, they all got there monsters on the blog, Nothings free guys!!!




Many thanks to the members of the forum for letting me share these pictures of their Elans, thanks guy's!!!

I don't have to much to report on the progress of my project, thought I needed a little more Hp because I will use my Elan to pull a sled and I'm not so concerned with keeping it original, so I bought a cylinder, piston and head from a 1971 ski doo TNT. Stroke and studs are same as the 247, so I can use the original crank case. Boost Hp from 12 to 22. I think that will be enough to get the job done. Parts have not got here yet but I started tearing down the original 247, to remove fan and cam shaft on clutch side you need specialty puller and tools, got the guys at work making them form me. When They get here I'll post some pictures.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Pic in your Blog there of the Elan beside a Polaris and two Skidoos in the back is a good one. The Elan made it up the beast of a hill very slowly while the other three just powered ahead. But I had to break trail for the two skidoos.

I had a guy respond to a want ad I had for A skidoo Elan Hood. Now it's a matter of finding time when were both free and I can take a road trip out to his place to get. Once I've got the hood I'll be able to take the old one off an hopefully repair a leaky fuel tank.

Unknown said...

I have a 1973 elan and need a fuel tank. Does anyone know where I could find one? The sleds in pretty goodm shape. Joe Bennett at jmbfam88@epix.net

Anonymous said...

I love youe site. I have a 76 elan 250 single. Trying to restore it and really would like to find a repair manual. Before winter hits down here in Canada. lol Any info would be appreciated. I bought the sled with the motor out of it, and would like to put it back together properly.
Thank you. Please contact me at fduster1@cogeco.ca

Anonymous said...

I'm looking for a gas tank for a 74 Elan, and a cowling for an 85-6 Elan. Any leads to suppliers that carry Elan parts would be appreciated. Thanks
grangerad@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I just purchased a 1974 elan deluxe.
it will not stay running once started. i am in huntsville, ontario, canada and am looking for a source for replacement parts and possibly some advice as to the ins and outs of the machine.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
tom
thomashampton@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

jrfbfd
I have a 1975 250 deluxe,twin,looking for the ski extension/spreaders or whatever their called,I beleive they are 4"
in length.If anyone could give a web site,that would be great.

Anonymous said...

Hey jrfbfd I have a set of spreaders that I removed from one of my Elans. Email me @ bob.krus@yahoo.com so I can send you some info.

Miguel said...

I actually own a 1976 Ski Doo Elan 250 Deluxe. I am in the midst of restoring it to the best I can! Anyone can give me some tips it would be more then appreciated! My email is big_guy380@hotmail.com! thanks in advance

speedzone said...

Wanted cowling and windshield for a 75 elan 300 ss. Black one would due. Would also be interested in new type with three quarter inch lug. Contact speedzone@shaw.ca

Unknown said...

sweet elans how did the 440 f/a one work thinking of putting one into mine a buddy of mine has a 71 frame and a different gearing with a 377 twin hemi heads tra clutch and twin carb and you hold on for life and do they make reproduction gas tanks for elans

elanman 77 said...

well i got a 77 elan do you thinki could get more power with doing that

Airdeglisse said...

hello,

i try to found any fanatic guys aboiut skiidoo.
i buy a old hovercraft with 2 rotax typ 248 (twin cylinder)
do you know any body can buy this parts?
or a good web site for my offer ?

thnak's by adavnce.

pascall from france
www.airdeglisse.org
pascall@airdeglisse.org

Unknown said...

Hello guys my love of the elan started when I worked for northern stores in Aklavic NWT , I am restoring a 1971 for my daughter to race in the vintage races locally here in Moose Jaw SK I am looking for a fuel tank , I have also been emailing the guy in quebec for a new hood although the origional has no breaks .
bushwacker.supply@yahoo.com
306-638-6300

Anonymous said...

hey, i have what i think is a 1978 elan skkidoo. I was wondering if you knew where i could find some parts. you can contact me at theswan7@ysomcast.net Thanks

76 Elan said...

Hey if you send me your email I might be able to help, good luck with your project dood.