Monday, June 4, 2007

Motor work


Got the cylinder head and piston from the 1971 Ski Doo TNT 292 from member goose, thanks goose. After I change it, I'll double the Hp to 22. If you notice the spark plug hole on the head is facing back at an angle, this could cause a problem. I have heard that it could hit the steering support. I'll have to wait and see after I put the motor back in if there is not enough room.

Here is the picture of the original 247 Rotax that came with the Elan, ran great, but I felt I needed a little more HP, that the reason for getting the 292 TNT jug. But here on the head the spark plug hole on the head is in the middle straight up. People have said that this would result in better combustion. Since the stroke is length is the same for both the 247 and the 292 and the studs are in the same position on both motors I can use the original crank case. I want to try to use the 247 head on the 292 jug, so I would not have the problem with the position of the spark plug. Where I work we have a very modern machine shop with some very talented machinist. once I can get the 247 head off I will bring both heads to work to see if they can match the combustion areas.
I want to glass bead the motor and to do this I must remove crank from case. To do this I need some special tools, in order to remove the crank on the clutch side, you need a sleeve that fits over the crank with hole at the end so you can put a bolt through. Once that's on you can put a pipe wrench on the sleeve to turn the crank in order not to bend it, if it's too hard to turn you can weld a 1/2 drive socket on the end and use a impact gun with some heat and it should com off.

To get the head and cylinder off I have to remove the fan and the back of the fan shroud. The front of the fan shroud with the recoil started came off easy, but to remove the fan I need a pipe to thread on the area I circled on this picture then weld a cap on the end put a bolt there and tighten the bolt to the end of the crank until fan pops off. Waiting for these 2 tools before I can continue on the motor, should get them this week

No comments: